This post may contain advertisements and/or links for products and services that I value. I offer recommendations to products and/or services that I find helpful in my own life as a mom. I may receive a commission based on viewer purchases or interactions with these ads. You will NOT be charged any extra money. All prices will stay the same for you whether your purchase items/services through links found on this site or not!
There’s nothing better than a day at the spa!
And it’s even more fun to take your daughter along. It’s a great place to get to know each other better, to relax together, and to feel spoiled together.
But, it can be SOOO expensive!
Massages, manicures, pedicures, facials…. The $$$ adds up fast. It’s just difficult to justify spending the money for a professional spa day.
Solution??? I created my own spa day, right in my home- which was a lot of fun and saved a lot of cash! We invited some friends and neighbors and had a great time.
This is a great activity for a girls’ day in, birthdays, before a big event like prom, for a sleepover, or just for fun!
This activity is a people-pleaser, from 5 year-olds, to teens, to adults!
And you can make it custom to fit your own needs…. AND your own BUDGET! Yes please!
Here are my tips for a great spa day at home with your girls!
1) Relaxing Ambiance
The first trick is to make your home feel like a getaway.
If it still feels like your house, it just isn’t a special day.
Find small things to change that contribute to the overall atmosphere. We’re going for relaxing, zen, peaceful, paradisaical, fun, cozy.
Here’s a few steps to create a spa mood:
- Turn off lights.
- Open windows for natural light and a light breeze.
- Light candles… Or at least use tea lights.
- Remove all unnecessary items from the room for an empty, uncluttered, free feel.
- Turn on relaxing music or nature sounds.
- Rearrange the couches to create a large open space.
- Bring in comfortable arm chairs (the kind that belong on a patio or pool area) to recline in.
- Bring in pillows, towels, blankets, and anything else we could think of to make ourselves more comfortable.
- Prepare treats and drinks beforehand and set them out on a coffee table between us to enjoy at our leisure.
- We especially enjoyed snacks that we could eat easily without messing up our manicures, like crackers with cheese, fruit and dip, or pinwheels.
- Turn on the Scentsy for a fresh new smell. (Click the image below!)
2) Warm Hand Towels and/or Wash Cloths in a Crock Pot
I thought this would just be a small touch, but it really made a difference in our spa day. The girls specifically mentioned several times that this little detail brought our spa day to life!
We warmed several hand towels:
- Some for removing facials,
- Some for drying our feet after the foot bath,
- Some for removing the massage oil from our hands after giving massages,
- Some to put under their hands and feet while they painted each other’s nails to avoid any messes.
- (For this step, we reused hand towels from the foot bath because we did not have enough for each girl. They didn’t mind at all!)
(Click the image below!)
AmazonBasics Cotton Hand Towel – 12-Pack, White
Cotton Craft – 14 Pack Multi Color Hand Towels – 100% Ringspun Cotton – 16×28 – Light Weight 450 Grams – Quick Drying and Highly Absorbent – Colors – Ivory, Light Blue, White, Linen, Mercury, Charcoal
This step is so easy to do! And it really added to the pampered feeling that is vital to any spa day! Just roll up dry, clean hand towels and organize them in the crock pot. Turn the crock pot on low and wait! Done!
We found that there were too many girls to fit all the hand towels in the crock pot at once, so we refilled the crock pot every time we used the towels. That way, we never ran out of warm, cozy hand towels and we never had to wait for them to be warm!
Each time we needed a hand towel, they were warm and cozy.
It felt luxurious, even though it was a super easy thing to do!
3) Homemade Facials
I recommend beginning your spa day with a facial. This is a nice calming activity to begin with, it really sets the tone for the rest of your spa day, and you can let your facial set while you get a massage or soak your feet in a foot bath!
Facials are easy and quick to put together. If you want, you can make the facial beforehand. This will prevent you from having a noisy blender in the middle of your spa day.
Or, if your daughter and girlfriends would really enjoy helping you make the facial, you can make it together during the spa day.
The most exciting thing about the facial is that you can tailor them to your individual needs and preferences! After all, spa day is all about YOU!
Each ingredient adds something to your facial, so just pick which things you would like to add. Here are some common ingredients to choose from.
- Cucumber: Cooling, healing, soothing
- Avocado: Vitamins, moisturizer
- Honey: Tightens skin, toning, hydrating, heals acne
- Yogurt: Exfoliating, softens skin
- Banana: Moisturizer, softens skin
- Vinegar: Tones skin, cleanser
- Oatmeal: Soothing, softens skin
- Mayonnaise: Smooth skin, cleanser
- Mustard: Stimulates skin (Test on a small area first in case you have a negative reaction)
- Lemon: Exfoliating, moisturizing
- Egg Whites: Cures oily skin
- Powdered Milk: Exfoliating, clearer skin
- Coconut Oil: Heals acne, soothe inflammation, healing
- Applesauce: Exfoliates, soothing
- Almond Oil: Hydrating, rejuvenating
- Charcoal Powder (Click the image below!): Cleansing, clearer skin
If you prefer to follow a recipe, click the image below!
Homemade Beauty Products : Over 50 All Natural Recipes For Face Masks, Facial Cleansers & Face Creams & Homemade Foot Spa : 48 All Natural Foot Soak, Foot … Balms (BOX SET 4) (All Natural Box Set)
Check out this awesome post by Elle: 7 Homemade Face Mask Recipes.
The girls enjoyed lounging in our comfortable reclining chairs while our facials had time to set. As we sat, we talked and laughed.
It was amazing to hear and see my daughter really be herself with all her friends around. I don’t get to see that side of her very often, so I soaked it up as much as I could!
Don’t forget to bring extra hair ties to keep your hair out of your facial.
As I mentioned before, we had a nice warm hand towels all ready to go to remove the facial. Don’t forget to put the next set of hand towels in the crock pot at this time so that they will be toasty by the time your foot bath is done!
4) Foot Bath
As our facials set, we enjoyed our foot bath.
Our foot bath had warm water, a few drops of essential oils for delicious and calming smell, and flower pedals. The flower pedals added a lot of fun and fancy to our day!
This would also be a lot of fun with a bath bomb, food coloring, or bubble bath (Click the image below)!
LifeAround2Angels Bath Bombs Gift Set 12 USA made Fizzies, Shea & Coco Butter Dry Skin Moisturize, Perfect for Bubble & Spa Bath. Handmade Birthday Mothers day Gifts idea For Her/Him, wife, girlfriend
Bath Bombs Gift Set Anjou Colorless 6 x 3.5 oz lush Fizzies Spa Kit, Perfect for Bubble Bath, Moisturizing with Organic & All Natural Essential Oils, Jojoba Oil, Shea Butter, Perfect Mother’s Day Gift
By the time the water cooled down, our feet were nice and clean (convenient for the upcoming massages and pedicures!), they were soft, and they smelled yummy!
I only wished the water would say warm longer…
If I did this activity again, I would fill my foot bath about halfway full the first time. That would leave room to pour in more hot water from the tap as soon as the water cooled down.
It’s just such a zen, peaceful activity! I needed more!
But at least I got to dry my feet using a luxurious, warm hand towel! Again- don’t forget to replace the hand towels in the crock pot so that they will be nice and warm when you need to clean up after massages!
Next, we all took turns massaging each other’s hands and feet (I only agreed to this because the girls’ feet were freshly cleaned in the foot bath).
The girls used pillows, blankets, towels, chairs, etc. to make themselves comfortable for their massages.
The girls loved getting to play the “masseuse” as well as receiving massage.
There was no formal training or research for this part. If you want to learn a new skill, it could be fun to print instructions on how to give massages properly.
Here’s a great resource from lifehacker.com: How Do I Give Better Massages?
I enjoyed the pressure-free approach. We weren’t worried about using perfect technique or following any sort of structure. That allowed us to relax and enjoy each other’s company more. This was the way to go for our group of girls.
The girls especially enjoyed having fancy massage oil to use (this wasn’t really fancy, just a cheap version). We put out three options of lotions and oils for the girls to choose from. Each had its own scent and texture that made massages even more exciting!
Click the image below!
Relax Therapeutic Massage Lotion – All Natural Enriched with Lavender & Peppermint Essential Oils Perfect for Massage Therapy – Massage Cream for Full Body Massage – Brookethorne Naturals 8.5oz
The last step is the manicure and pedicure!
I absolutely think this step should be saved for last. All the other activities could ruin your nails, especially if you have an energetic bunch of girls!
We had a whole selection of nail polish to choose from (click the image below). We had all the various colors displayed on a Lazy Susan so that the girls could pick and choose.
Most of the girls chose multiple colors. They loved coming up with patterns or details for their nails!
Next time I do this activity, I would love to have nail stickers or other accents to add a little more pizzazz to the mani/pedi!
The hardest part was getting the girls to sit still long enough for their nails to dry. We ended up turning on a pre-teen chick flick for them to keep them still.
The girls brought their own flip flops to wear while their nail polish dried. Flip flops would also be a cute party favor if desired. You can also try disposable flip flops or flip flop accessories to make your party extra exciting! (Click the image below).
All in all, each girl had an amazing time pampering themselves!!
They also enjoyed getting to pamper each other by helping apply each other’s facials, giving massages, and painting each other’s nails. One girl said that this is her new target career for when she grows up!
Spa day is a great mother-daughter activity, a great birthday party, and a great girls’ day in.
If you have any other ideas for how to have a fantastic spa day with your girls, comment them below!
Here’s a list of supplies for you to choose from. The list is separated by each activity we included in our spa day. Remember- you don’t need everything. Just pick and choose!
- Candles, matches
- Hand Towels (3-4 per person, if desired)
- Crock Pot (to warm hand towels)
- Relaxing Music
- Comfortable Chairs
- Pillows, blankets, etc.
- Treats and Drinks
- Hair Ties
- Blender, spoon to mix
- Facial Ingredients, which could include any of the following:
- Egg Whites
- Powdered Milk
- Coconut Oil
- Almond Oil
- Charcoal Powder
- Bins to hold water (no taller than around 6 inches)
- Warm Water
- Any of the Following:
- Essential Oils
- Bath Bomb
- Flower Petals
- Bubble Bath
- Food Coloring
- Various oils or lotions
- If desired, printed directions on how to massage
- Towels, chairs, pillows, blankets, etc. to make yourself comfortable
- Various colors of nail polish
- Lazy Susan to display nail polish (Click the image below!)
- If desired, hand towels to limit the mess
- If desired, nail files, nail clippers, or other nail tools
- Toe Spacers
- If desired, flip flops to wear while toenails dry
- Your favorite movie to watch while nails dry
Have a great time with your daughters, and make sure you get to know their friends as well! Friends say a lot about who your child is and who they are becoming.
Make it a cheap and rewarding mother-daughter day by involving your child in the planning. Have fun!
P.S. Need more ideas of fun activities to do with your kids? Try some of these indoor activities!
Share this post with any parent who has a daughter!
Please subscribe to my email list for weekly updates in the world of parenting!